Thursday, February 16, 2012

What did you do at work today?

It's really lovely teaching adults. I really enjoy the adult conversation. Even when I teach the lower level classes I hear really different opinions and it is such a joy when they express themselves using the expressions that we study. Today one of my students who has difficulty with English blew me away when the presented on the benefits and drawbacks of being a woman in a male dominated workplace using expressions like 'one the one hand', 'if we look at it from a different angle' and 'the benefits often outweigh the drawbacks'. My heart absolutley melted. When a woman who is usually so quiet in class grows in confidence and talks nonstop I am jumping with joy on the inside. It just reminds me of exactly how much I love being a teacher both in Australia teaching history to teenagers and in Korea teaching adult English conversation.

Today was an absolutely lovely day. It was a bit out of the norm. At my work it is required that we take students out for an 'excursion', going for coffee, dinner or drinks. For many of my classes that day was today. Here is why my day was so special.

7:40am - A great class with wonderful people talking about ways we can disagree with others, looking at whether there is gender equality in the workplace, whether it's better to attend co-ed schools or single sex schools, if it's better to get married or stay single, or if it's preferable to be a male or female in Korea. Such great debates.

9:00am - Coffee at Starbucks discussing movies, films, music and literature.

10:00am - A repeat of 7:40am lesson - this time with 11 people instead of 5. That is HUGE for an English speaking class!

11:00am - Very blokey discussion about the role of alcohol in Korea and legal drinking ages around the world and whether teens drink responsibly.

12:00am - Repeat of 7:40am and 10:00am class, after a long discussion about one of my student's alcohol binge week - He just graduated from high school and this was his first time drinking. It explains why he has missed class for the last 3 days. This week is university orientation aka. drink with the senior uni members week so I'll expect him back in two weeks with many more entertaining stories.

2:00pm - Starbucks coffee and baseball cage practice for an hour. Lots of fun.

3:00pm - Met students at Pukyong University and took them to my favourite coffee shop for lots of light talking.

4:00pm - 3:00pm students stayed to to talk with my 4:00pm student. Great discussion about history and politics - two of my favourite topics. I loved this.

Maybe this is not everyone's cup of tea, but this was definitely my favourite day at work so far. I hope for many more days like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment