Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dinner Party

On Saturday night I decided to invite some of my friends to my place to celebrate. Youngsu got her first job working in international trade before she had even graduated university. Then she surprised us even more by revealing that on Friday at her univeristy graduation she received an award for having the highest academic performance out of her graduating class. We had even more to celebrate!

I had already started cooking and had made japchae and tuna egg rolls. So when they got there we just popped some rice on to cook and started up the electric cooker to make dak galbi. I am the BEST at making dak galbi. At least I think so.

In Korea it is very traditional for people to bring paper gifts when they first visit someone's home, particularly if it a housewarming party. At first it was funny watching Jay walking down the main street with a 30 pack bag of toilet paper. When it was explained to me it started to make sense and it was a very lovely and thoughful gift. Youngsu also brought me a plant. I have had a bad track record with plants so I was glad to hear that it only needs to be watered once a month. Phew... I think I can do that without killing it.

It was a lovely night and I am glad I could cook for my friends. It is my favourite thing to do and I was so happy to spend time with them. I really have made the most amazing friends since coming to Korea. Here we are enjoying dinner.


Maybe you spotted the makguli and cider in the window sill - it is the best place to put bottles of drink to get cold. Usually I leave it ouside the window until I want to drink it but I had to get rid of the cooking smells:( Sooo cold!

Afterwards we decided to walk off the food and head to Gwangalli for coffee. It was freezing and the wind was strong. We just made it to the coffee shop before becoming icicles... but not before we had this picture taken. I love the machines on the side of the road that takes your picture and emails it to you. Unfortunately Jay couldn't stop moving! kkk. Dynamic Busan!


In two weeks we are having a showdown to see who can make the best ramyun! I know what I'll be eating for the next 14 days! Bring it on!:P

1 comment: