Saturday, January 14, 2012

Korean Snacks

In Busan there is a massive cafe culture. Along with the coffee, there is also a huge range of cakes. In Korea they call it 'bung' or bread. It's not bread but cakes full of sugar and cream. People must sure have sweet toothes here. I am not a cake person but I like savoury food. This makes it very difficult to find snack food that is not too sweet.

I saw this packet of chips in my local corner supermarket and I thought I'd give it a try. It looked like it might be a bit spicy. But I forgot I am in Korea... it's sweet. But at least it doesn't have that honey flavour to it. When I opened the package I actually found two packets of sauce. The kind of tub sauce you get from McDonalds. It has that on the front but I thought that was just to indicate that it was flavourful. Kind of like when there is a picture of prawns to indicate prawn flavour. It was the first time I have ever had chips with dipping sauce. It is SO good. Yum:)



My favourite coffee shop is a place called 'Cafe on:u' that's just around the corner from my apartment, across the road from the main entrance to Pukyong University, and a few shopfronts into the alley that leads to the Modern China restaurant. Their caramel latte is to die for (The male barista makes it better than the woman though), and they give you a kiss each time you go there. Ok, not a real kiss; a chocolate Hershey's one. This costs about 3,600 won which is actually cheaper than most places around here and it is delicious. I'll have to take some pics and blog about some of my favourite cafes soon. Anyway, sometimes I just don't have enough money on me to get a coffee when I want it, but I have found the next best thing.

All of the convenience stores here have a huge selection of cold coffee in bottles. They even package coffee from major chains like Angel-in-us. But I have found a really nice and CHEAP coffee milk. I love the Korean word for milk 우유 (oo yoo). Each one costs about 700 won.


So, if you are ever in Korea and feel like some snacks that aren't cakes, these are my suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment