Saturday, November 5, 2011

Australian getting a job and Visa for Korea

When people find out I am going overseas for a year the three most asked questions include:
a. Why Korea?
b. What are you going to do there?
c. How'd you get the job?

So here it is. Why? What? How?


Korea? Or Taiwan?

a. Why Korea?
It was a toss up between Taiwan and South Korea. This was really difficult because Taiwan is actually my favourite country. If I were to teach overseas for a longer period of time I would actually have chosen Taiwan because I could picture myself living there. Korea won the ESL teaching race because if I do only decide to stay for a year I have my return airfare paid for and free accommodation. It would make my year experience that much easier without having to look for a place to stay. Plus I am more familiar with the Korean culture and language than that of Taiwan. Bonus: Romy unnie and Misook unnie both live in Korea at the moment so I'll have friends there already:)

b. What are you going to do there?
Teaching English conversation classes for a company in Busan that caters to university students and business people. I am used to teaching teenagers so it's kind of exciting to deal with adults for a year.

c. How did you get the job?
I actually contacted some recruiters because I wanted to go to Korea in December and I knew that their school terms were different to ours in Australia. It seems to be more along the timing of America (I think). Therefore I thought it'd be hard to get a job. I decided not to go with a recruiter though there were a few who really helped with questions I had even though they knew I wasn't going through them. Instead one of my Korean friends contacted a company for me. They didn't have a position available but they were kind enough to create a new position for me. Score!

So what is the process?
1. Contact the company - they send a sample contract. Check the terms and ask any questions that you have.
2. Talk to someone in the company - I have read on numerous sites that it's good to talk to a foreign teacher about the conditions to see if it is really a company that is reliable in payment and hours, housing etc. I have a native Korean friend who worked there so I asked her.
3. Send back the signed contract with a CV that has a photo on it, an unopened copy of your degree that has an official university seal/stamp, Federal Criminal Background Check (certified and apostilled), copy of your degree certificate (certified and apostilled) and a Personal Health Statement (basically just to say you have no diseases, STIs, and that you do not and have not done drugs).
4. The company then sends the necessary documents to immigration in Korea. In about 2 weeks they send an email with the Issuance Number.
5. Visit the Korean consulate (In Sydney it is on Elizabeth St across from St James Station - closed for lunch for one hour). No appointment or interview needed. When I was looking into teaching in Korea a while ago, I read so many blogs talking about the requirements for getting a Visa most of which indicate the need to have an interview. That's not the case in Australia. Just take a copy of the contract, a photo, application fee, the issuance number and fill in two forms they will give you. An E2 visa application and another Personal Health Statement.
6. Three days later pick up your E2 Visa.

So easy! Something I did find odd. No interview for the job because the company knew my friend and trusted her judgment and no consulate interview. It was pretty painless and stressfree.

Funniest moment: Just got off the phone with a call centre person from my bank and he was asking all about Tesol courses and whatnot coz he is going over to Vietnam to teach next year. So people looking for a course my recommendation is I-to-I Tesol - it is accredited internationally and completely online.

No comments:

Post a Comment